Re: [nsp] BGP Multihoming -how to announce backup route???

From: Gert Doering (gert@greenie.muc.de)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 09:53:39 EST

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 09:46:07AM -0600, TARRY James wrote:
> Since you have your own IP block, you can just tell the ISP's what you want to them to
> announce to the rest of the world.

But always keep in mind that "the rest of the world" is in no way obliged
to accept what you're announcing.

We're currently not accepting more specific prefixes than a /24 (so the
/25s in your example would mean that this network is not reachable at all
from here!).

Depending on the routing table growth, we're currently considering not
accepting /24s at all, and maybe not accepting anything more specific
than a /20 in the ARIN blocks (where nothing smaller was ever given out).

So: always consider if you really want to fragment a perfectly nice and
shiny address block. What are the benefits, what are the risks and
costs.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert@greenie.muc.de