Re: [nsp] question secondary ip address command

From: Mark D. Nagel (nagel@intelenet.net)
Date: Thu Oct 28 1999 - 19:08:41 EDT

On Thu, 28 Oct 1999 22:51:27 +0200,
+++ Niels Bakker <niels@euro.net> (niels) said:

niels> But subinterfaces still don't show up on a 7513 running 12.0(6)S here,
niels> if it's any consolation.

niels> I think it's a feature; renumbering all your SNMP software after you add
niels> a subinterface can be a pain.

It is most definitely _not_ a feature. It is extremely annoying.
I've reported this in the past to Cisco and they basically said it was
just the way things were and they were unlikely to change it. It
makes bandwidth measurement extremely difficult, though I suppose
NetFlow accounting might possibly make it doable. Summing port
traffic at the switch level is bad because it includes intra-VLAN
traffic that the customer shouldn't pay for.

As for the SNMP issue, no problem -- the indices do not change every
time you add an interface, only when you reboot. Dealing with that is
simple if you tie your measurement to something else like the
interface name or (as I did in some software I did once upon a time)
an embedded field in the interface description.

Mark

--
Mark D. Nagel <nagel@intelenet.net>, CCIE #3177