Re: [nsp] Traceroute inconsistencies

From: Ryan O'Connell (ryan@complicity.co.uk)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 08:08:58 EST

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 07:08:59PM +0800, Nick wrote:
> Perhaps this is slightly OTT. Can any one explain the inconsistencies in
> traceroute. A network card has been configured with two IP addresses:
>
> 200.100.255.12
> 200.100.255.8
>
> However the traceroute results are slightly different as below. Any ideas?

Presumably the route to 200.100.255.12 is different from the route to .8 on
the router 200.100.225.66. Possibly some equalcost-multipath or similar is
going on, and the traffic is being load balanced on a per-destination basis.

--
         Ryan O'Connell - CCIE #8174
<ryan@complicity.co.uk> - http://www.complicity.co.uk

I'm not losing my mind, no I'm not changing my lines, I'm just learning new things with the passage of time