Re: [nsp] Cisco DS3 Questions..

From: Charles Sprickman (spork@inch.com)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2002 - 23:00:26 EST

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Steven W. Raymond wrote:

> I have to cast a vote towards HDLC as well. One thing that I haven't
> seen mentioned here yet is that when there is a circuit loop facing an
> HDLC-encapsulated interface, it'll come "up/up looped", which is useful
> for testing purposes. Can then ext ping the interface address with
> 18024 byte packets and see if the circuit runs clean.
> PPP won't come up/up to a loop, and nor will frame relay in my
> experience.

I see exactly the opposite here. PPP will show me a loop by listing the
circuit as "up/up (looped)", and if I'm in doubt about what's happening
"debug ppp neg" shows all kinds of good stuff.

With HDLC, I haven't yet seen a way to get a good indication the line is
really up, but with ppp if negotiation fails, you know it. Perhaps
there's some options for HDLC I don't know of (yet).

Charles