RE: static routing

From: Tim Wolfe (tim@clipper.net)
Date: Fri Nov 19 1999 - 16:25:47 EST

Of course, what happens when users packets start arriving at microsoft.com
out of sequence because one of the links is farther? You end up with
something like 1 3 4 5 2 6 8 9 7 instead of a nice in-sequence 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9. This can create it's own set of complications as I understand it. The
reason that many vendors don't even support perpacket balancing between
multiple paths is due to the packet reordering that must occur on the
receiving end. While literal throughput may be higher using this method,
latency induced by the receiving host having to reorder packets (and
possibly even request that they be sent again) would seem to negate the
extra throughput by causing increased user visible latency and packet
retransmissions...

Just my .02 cents on the matter..

-- Tim

* Timothy M. Wolfe, Chief Network Engineer *
* ClipperNet Corporation / It's a wireless world *
* tim@clipper.net 800.338.2629 x 402 *
* Sufficient for today = Inadequate for tomorrow *