Re: [nsp] ATM/LANE counter64 always zero

From: Gert Doering (gert@greenie.muc.de)
Date: Tue Apr 16 2002 - 15:04:39 EDT

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 01:09:50PM -0400, Jared Mauch wrote:
> Cisco needs to organize their snmp code such that this
> will no longer be a problem. It's tiresome to collect stats
> which don't mean anything, lose a few days of data while
> tracking down that router X doesn't return usable values in
> its 64-bit counters, while router Y does.

Yep. Also there are lotsa interesting funnies in 12.0S and 12.1
concerning "show int" counters and 32-bit rollovers (the output
counters *for IP only* get stuck after "enough" rollovers, needing
a "clear count" to come back).

This stuff should be 64bit-only, and only ONE counter that the others
are derived from - it's so ridiculous that (e.g.) SNMP and show int
values for "5 minute average" can differ up to 50%... or that "show
int" counters get stuck while SNMP counters continue to work... or
vice versa (had this happen only once, though).

If you feel like nagging your Cisco reps, I have opened a bug on
some of my favourite counter issues, CSCdx04392, but nothing has
happened on that yet.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert@greenie.muc.de