Re: [nsp] 7000/7500 architecture resources

From: Stephen Sprunk (ssprunk@cisco.com)
Date: Wed Apr 17 2002 - 18:54:21 EDT

Thus spake "kevin graham" <kgraham@dotnetdotcom.org>
> I guess I'd been a bit too optimistic in my perception of how
> distributed "distributed" actually meant, and the role of the RSP
> for *IP-*IP forwarding makes a whole hell of alot more sense
> now.

Getting the cbus architecture (itself a hack of the mbus architecture) to
support distributed switching was quite a hack. It was a major triumph of
investment protection over good engineering. The Cat6k distributed
switching architecture is much cleaner.

> > The only true distributed switching occurs within the same
> > VIP.
>
> Hrm. In the case of a GEIP/GEIP+, provided you have .1q
> CEF support, would this also apply?

GEIPs (and other recent *IP cards) are really VIPs with non-removable PAs.
So, yes, it applies.