Re: Parallel EBGP sessions and RFC1771 collision detection.

From: Jesper Skriver (jesper@skriver.dk)
Date: Fri Nov 26 1999 - 07:57:21 EST

On Fri, Nov 26, 1999 at 01:51:39PM +0100, Christian Panigl, ACOnet/UniVie wrote:
> >Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 19:47:18 +0100
> >From: Alex Bligh <amb@gxn.net>
> >
> >This should be an easy question:
> >
> >Can I safely maintain a two EBGP between two routers (A and B) if
> >I use different interfaces on each router? This appears to work in
>
> Hi Alex,
>
> did you get an answer already ? I don't see any problem with this. But
> probably what you'd prefer is "EBGP Multihop (Load Balancing)", with just
> one EBGP session but traffic load-sharing onto two (or more) lines between
> two routers.
>
> Please refer to "BGP4 Case Studies/Tutorial, Section 1":
>
> http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/459/13.html
>
> or, general Cisco "BGP Technical Tips" at:
>
> http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/459/18.html

That won't work if the 2 media's are multiaccess media's, there you
cannot rely on static routes to become invalid if the next-hop goes
away.

Such a situation can appear in London, where quite a few peer over both
LoNap and LINX, both located at Telehouse London.

/Jesper

--
Jesper Skriver (JS4261-RIPE), Network manager
Tele Danmark DataNet, IP section (AS3292)

One Unix to rule them all, One Resolver to find them, One IP to bring them all and in the zone to bind them.