Re: [nsp] RTP and IPSEC

From: warner@cats.ucsc.edu
Date: Sun Jul 07 2002 - 16:37:32 EDT

> I wanted to know if any of you guys have configured
> RTP traffic to flow trhough an IPSEC tunnel configured
> between two cisco routers.

Uh, sure. Why should this be a big deal? The delay, loss
and jitter depend on the characteristics of the network
that lies underneath the tunnel -- generally not the tunnel
itself. I have run RTP streams through my test IPSEC tunnel
and it's not noticable. My tunnel is between 1710 routers.

What you might want to keep your eyeball on is MTU problems.
Here's a reference:

  http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/105/38.shtml

The other important reference is RFC2923, especially the note
on "Security considerations" relating to admins that block
all ICMP and break MTU.

-jim warner, UC Santa Cruz