Re: [nsp] redistributing secondary address

From: Rick Burts (burts@ccci.com)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 14:19:46 EST

The best way to have OSPF advertise networks that are defined as
secondary addresses is to define an OSPF network statement for the
secondary network. I have done this multiple times. It is simple,
straightforward, and it works.

There are a few caveats about secondary addressing which I am sure
you are already aware of, like the requirement that the routers agree
on the primary address and the primary address on all the routers must
be in a common subnet.

Rick

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, Eric J Merkel wrote:

> We are running some internal machines on a 10.0.0.0 network as a secondary
> address on an ethernet interace. Prior to getting our OSPF/ring topology
> working properly (*joy*), we just had static routes, but now there are
> multiple routes to this network and I would like to make it dynamic.
>
> What is the best way to to announce this network into OSPF? I have added
> under the ospf statement 'redistribute connected' and also 'redistribute
> static subnet' and made a static route for this network to e0 but it is not
> showing up in other routers ospf tables. Clues?
>
> Eric
>
> Eric Merkel / MetaLink Technologies, Inc
> ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
> Email: merkel@metalink.net
> Phone: 419-782-3472 or 888-999-8002
> ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rick Burts, CCSI CCIE 4615 burts@ccci.com
Chesapeake Computer Consultants 410-280-8840 ex 3015
275 West Street 410-280-8859 fax
Plaza 70
Annapolis, Md 21401

Chesapeake is a certified Cisco Training Partner and also
a Cisco Professional Services partner.
We offer most of the Cisco training courses.
We also offer training in Checkpoint Firewall software and
Fore Systems and NetScout.
We also provide network consulting services including
design, management, and problem solving.
We have 24 CCIEs on our staff.