Re: SHOCK NEWS: Cisco not RFC-1812 compliant

From: sthaug@nethelp.no
Date: Mon Jan 10 2000 - 14:57:38 EST

> Today I learned the shocking truth: the Cisco 800 series is not
> compliant with RFC-1812 ("Requirements for IP Version 4 Routers").
> The 800 series supports RIP, so by this requirement it should also
> support OSPF. I know the 800 series is a toy router, and I wouldn't
> much care about OSPF support if it wasn't an RFC requirement, but
> really, I would have liked to think that a company with as long a
> history as Cisco would be able to manage to properly implement the
> requirements of such a fundamental RFC. Apparently not... :-(
>
> Is the ignorance of fundamental RFC requirements going to be
> spreading to other products in the Cisco range I have to ask?

I suggest you contain your anger, and look at realities. It's been like
this for years, for Cisco and for several other vendors. Please check for
instance the Cisco 1005 (I'm using one myself). The basic IP feature set
for this router offers RIP (and RIP v2) but not OSPF.

Personally I'd rather have a router that offers RIP v2 than no dynamic
routing at all. But maybe that's just me...