Re: [nsp] Routing between VLANs using 802.1q

From: Niels Bakker (niels@euro.net)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 19:28:17 EST

Charley Kline wrote:

> Even in trunk mode there is a "native vlan" which is not tagged. Use "show
> trunk" to see that:
>
> switch4-1> sh trunk 5/3
> Port Mode Encapsulation Status Native vlan
> -------- ----------- ------------- ------------ -----------
> 5/3 on dot1q trunking 1
[..]

On a related note, I had to do `set trunk 2/49 noneg' on 2948G's to have
it talk properly to a 3508XL or a 7500. Unfortunately the 2948G's only
support 802.1Q trunking and not ISL...

Somebody accidentally unplugged the cable going into the router and
plugged it back into the wrong port (not configured for trunking).
I think you can imagine the ensuing havoc after that since suddenly
everybody else had forgotten the password to that switch (even the guy
who thought it up in the first place!) and I had my usual morning off,
considering this was about the recently upgraded office LAN. :-)

        -- Niels.