RE: Packet drops

From: Martin, Christian (CMartin@mercury.balink.com)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2000 - 12:51:08 EST

The max queue size on a RSP-based box is 4096. I set DS3s and higher at
this value. As far as drops, it depends on how they are spaced. Tail
dropping causes packet waves, whereas intermittent dropping smoothes this
effect. This is what the RED algorithms attempt to do. On a moderately
loaded interface, 1 in 1000 drops is good. On a quiet interface, there
should be none...

chris