[nsp] Odd values for input and output rates in 'show interface'

From: Steve Pfister (srp336@optimum.com)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 18:04:49 EST

I've just been noticing some strange statistics on a Catalyst 2916. Certain
ports are showing really large values for input and output rates (sometimes
on the order of > 20 million bits/sec. The thing that confused me is, the
router on this port only has one T1 and a FastEthernet port (explicitly set
down to 10mbit, full duplex). The FastEthernet port on the router never
seems to show these strange values, but I can get them to show up on the
switch easily. I can see how a situation might arise where 20 million
bits/sec get sent to the router, but I can't see how the switch could get
20 million bits/sec back from it. Does anyone know what's happening here?

Thanks!

--Steve