Re: [nsp] Best ATM termination options for DSL on 7200

From: ducktape@puck.nether.net
Date: Tue Feb 15 2000 - 15:17:11 EST

If you're interested in a simple solution for terminating PVC's for DSL,
and I'm gussing that
you're going to be doing this for residential/commercial, the easiest way
to do it would be
to go with a Redback SMS1000/1800 and get space on the telco DSLAM. Cisco
is making
a decent system in the AS6400 but they are a pain in the arse to configure
and I've had to
hack away at trying to get the subscriber interfaces built for customers
with static IP's.
I don't want to think about doing it for PPPoX. I personally prefer the
Redback for a number
of reasons.....

1. It's VERY easy to configure and it's easy to maintain
2. With the present code release you can support 8k customer bindings,
i.e. you can bind
      8k vp/vc pairs.
3. If you decide to do PPPoE, the Redback has shown more stability than
the AS6400
4. Redback is constantly improving on their code, no code bloat,
instabilities and bugs have
      been fixed quickly. With the upcoming 3.x code that will release
that will support BGP the
      Redback will be more of a true router than just a bridge.
5. Money. IMO after working with it as long as I have, the Reback is a
far more cost effective
      platform than Cisco.

Yeah I know this is a Cisco list and it makes more sense at times to have
one vendor solution
for your hardware, but when it comes to DSL I'll take the Redback any day
of the week. I maintain
the DSL boxes for Pacific Bell Internet and we are pushing 70
Redbacks. The only problems that
I have encountered in our network have been due to the layer 2 whores in
the telco on the ATM
network. I've had the occational odd hardware problem with the Redback,
i.e. FE2 card failure,
DS3 card failure, but no vendor is immune to that particular bug. If money
is the bottom line and you're not ready for a dedicated solution, I'd
follow the suggestion that George made and go with a
PA-A3 solution. It's cheap and it will do the job for you.

Cheers,

Bob Davidovich
Pacific Bell Internet - Network Operations
bobd@pbi.net

At 04:05 AM 2/15/00 -0500, you wrote:
> From: "Kent Tambling" <Kent@acceleration.net>
> To: <cisco-nsp@puck.nether.net>
> Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 20:43:55 -0500
> Subject: [nsp] Best ATM termination options for DSL on 7200
>
> PA-A3 for T3 termination from BellSouth for the purpose of ADSL PVC's?
>
> What hardware combo do you folks suggest for terminating BellSouth's
> Industrial DSL? Any smart options required? What if we just want a
> single T1 ATM delivered? (bridge multiples maybe) Whats the best =
> option?

I don't know the characteristics of the "Industrial DSL", but in
general a PA-A3 is a workable solution for getting started when
you don't want to get a dedicated DSL router.

Typically DSL requries no fancy ATM options, in fact it often doesn't
use some that would be useful like LMI for finding PVC's or verifying
PVC up/down state. From what I've seen you can also use a PA-A1 or
or the PA-CES card if you have then lyaing around or even a HSSI and
ADSU, although each of these options will provide a more restrictions
on the number of PVC's that you can support.

You should however, check with the provider for compabiltiy issues
so you don't get tripped up on which version of UNI is *really*
required or PVC number schemes.

Other options at the T3 level are the 7100 series routers, the 6400
ATM-switch/routers and of course our old buddies Redback & co, though
it's when you get into the consumer/residential DSL that you really
need the features that these support.

We have serveral PA-A3's deployed for DSL - it's worked out reasonably
well - DSL rollout can be really slow, especially if your providers
are get getting into the CO's and it can take a long time before you
hit the limitations...

                                                George