Re: [nsp] Ethernet errors between 7500/PA-FE-TX and 3548XL switch

From: Ben Hockenhull (benh@jpj.net)
Date: Sun Jun 11 2000 - 21:18:14 EDT

At 1:55 AM +0200 6/11/00, sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:
>We're seeing input errors (CRC) on 3548XL switch ports connected to 7500
>routers with PA-FE-TX. No errors are visible on the 7500 side. We have
>tried switching cables, 3548XL switches, and PA-FE-TX on the 7500s. And
>we still get these errors. The amount is low, about 3e-4 - but higher
>than we would expect. Typical view:

<snip>

I've seen a similar situation on a 7206 Fast Ethernet interface plugged
into an HP ProCurve switch. In this case, the 7206 was logging CRC errors
in similar proportions to what you are seeing. The HP switch was logging
FCS and Alignment errors on RX, and no TX errors.

Turns out that there was (surprise, surprise) an autonegotiation problem.
The 7206 showed f0/0 up at 100Mbit FDX, and the HP switch seemed to think
the interface was running at 100Mbit HDX. Setting the switch port to
100Mbit FDX eliminated the CRC errors.

Ben