RE: [nsp] Summary: 802.1q and CEF-switching (7500)

From: Rubens Kuhl Jr. (rubens@email.com)
Date: Thu Jul 06 2000 - 15:25:37 EDT

After some private answers and doing more testing myself, I've find out
that:
- On some IOS versions (10.6S and 11.S, for instance) it's possible to
enable CEF-switching and it reports as being enabled. But 'show int
switching' shows that packets never goes thru Autonomous/SSE switching path,
only thru fast switching path.
- Many people reported not being able to turn it on the versions they run.
- It also happens with ISL trunking.
- It isn't a problem on 12000 GSR.

Conclusion: if you do vlan-trunking but needs performance, go shopping for a
10000, 12000 or a Juniper... :)

Rubens Kuhl Jr.