Re: private AS peering

From: dylan greene (db70@loa.com)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 12:36:02 EDT

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, Cho Man Fai wrote:

> Is there any limitation in the number of peering allowed for private
> AS? Is it possible for a company to use private AS and peer with three or
> more upstream providers?

Nope, you can peer w/ as many as you'd like to. However if you peer w/
more than one, you'll be adding to a problem called 'inconsistent-as',
(where your prefix(es) are sourced by multiple ASNs.)

While this will function, the proper way to advertise via multiple
providers is from a unique ARIN assigned ASN. (It's also possible that
an inconsistent-as _could_ break some as-path filters.)

I guess it's overall more ugly than broken?

..dylan

.+'''+. @stella.geek.net - 'gentlemen, you can't fight in here!
D B 7 0 @loa.com - this is the war room!' (pres. merkin
`+.,.+' dylan - muffley from dr. strangelove, (c) 1964.)