[nsp] interface counter wrap issue

From: Yu Ning (yuning@ns.chinanet.cn.net)
Date: Wed Aug 30 2000 - 02:09:23 EDT

Hi All,

It seems an old issue. We have several GSR box will SRP(stm-16) interface,
and we poll the traffic statistic via MRTG at 1min interval. But one day
the MRTG graph was stripped off 500M more traffic, then we know it's the
problem of interface counter - when the traffic grow up, the counter wrapped

Can any one tell us:
1) If Cisco SRP(STM-16) interface has also an old 32 bit counter ? Is it an
hardware counter, or other sorts of counter that I can change its size?

2) Except shorten the polling interval, have I other choices to get a non-wrapped
statistic via MRTG ?

3) Any scalable method when my traffic grow up to 1G, 2.5G ?

thanks any input!

regards,

p.s.
As a 32 bit counter, ceiling is: 2^32x8/60=572.7M bps if polled at
1min interval.

(Mr.) Yu(2) Ning(2)
ChinaNet Backbone Operation
Networking Dep.,Datacom Bureau