[nsp] Frame-Relay challenges

From: Vinod Anthony Joseph Cherunni (vac@dsqworld.com)
Date: Mon Sep 04 2000 - 05:39:25 EDT

Hi All,

Thanks a ton for the help on the Frame Relay queries, & I seem to be much
more comfortable now. Just a few more queries in response to the answers
I have recieved.

1. While using a Frame Relay point to multipoint configuration, Will the
following configuration be okay for a Central site called "Site A"
connecting two remote sites Site B, & Site, which have connections only to
the central office, & not to each other.

Site A.
interface Loopback0
 ip address 200.200.10.1 255.255.255.0

interface serial 0
  encapsulation frame-relay
  no ip address

interface Serial0.101 multipoint
  ip address 128.213.10.1 255.255.252.0
  ip ospf network point-to-multipoint

router ospf 10
 network 128.213.0.0 0.0.255.255 area 0

Question: Can site A have two PVC's associated with the interface Serial 0
for connecting to the remote sites.

Site B
interface Loopback0
 ip address 200.200.10.2 255.255.255.0

interface serial 0
  encapsulation frame-relay
  no ip address

interface Serial0.101 multipoint
 ip address 128.213.10.3 255.255.255.0
 ip ospf network point-to-multipoint

router ospf 10
network 128.213.0.0 0.0.255.255 area 0

Site C
interface Loopback0
 ip address 200.200.10.3 255.255.255.0

interface serial 0
  encapsulation frame-relay
  no ip address

interface Serial0.101 multipoint
 ip address 128.213.10.4 255.255.255.0
 ip ospf network point-to-multipoint

router ospf 10
network 128.213.0.0 0.0.255.255 area 0

Will this configuration work, My doubt is that assume if a single
interface can be associated with multiple DLCI's, for two destinations as
assumed above,will OSPF routing works as expected. Or else do I need a
second interface to be explicetedly configured with a PVC assigned to it &
use it for connecting the second location. This would remove the idea
behind using multipoint configurations.

My understanding on the difference between point-multipoint & broadcast
configurations is that point-multipoint interfaces are a collection of
point-point links & broadcast configs emulate a broadcast domain. Correct
me pls.

Thanks in advance
Vinod.