Re: [nsp] Bridging DSL to 7206

From: Mark E. Mallett (mem@mv.mv.com)
Date: Fri Sep 08 2000 - 17:34:07 EDT

> is your DSL provider BA?
nope

> BA uses mac filters and blocks mac addresses.
> you will need to contact the relevant DSL circuit providers to open up the
> appropriate MAC filters. then hard code the mac address on your BVI
> interface. otherwise everytime the router reboots, it will calculate a
> new MAC address for the BVI interface. it is possible other DSL
> service providers are using similar MAC filters as well.

Yeah, my thinking was that they were blocking the broadcast address
at least- but they swear that they have no layer 2 filters at all.

> i would strongly recommend reading thru' the RBE - route bridge encapsulation
> feature. this is an improved aggregation feature for 1483 bridged
> traffic. it's supported from 12.0(5)DC on the 6400, and 12.1(2)T on some
> IOS platforms [including the 7200]. we also support RBE with
> un-numbered DHCP support from 12.1(1)DC and 12.1(2)T onwards.

I have been reading about it- I may give up on IRB and go that route;
but again feel that there is something specifically wrong since the
CLEC has said that others are using IRB on a 7206.

Thanks much,
mm