Re: [nsp] Cisco CEF FIB and Adjacency table

From: Martin Cooper (mjc@cooper.org.uk)
Date: Tue Sep 12 2000 - 15:30:05 EDT

Yu Ning <yuning@ns.chinanet.cn.net> writes:

> FIB (Forward Information Base) and Adjacency Database (AD)
> is component of CEF. In CCO document, it's said that FIB
> is derived from RIB, can any one tell me why the FIB+AD
> architecture is faster than traditional RIB+ARP ?

Yes - there are two reasons:

1) CEF pre-builds the RIB such that all available prefixes are
   available without having to process-switch the first packet
   for a particular prefix to populate the route-cache as with
   legacy fast-path mechanisms.
2) The CEF table does not need to be invalidated when the next-
   hop link-layer address changes, since the CEF table contains
   pointers to the Adjacency database (which is pre-built with
   next-hop->Media-address data and updated separately from the
   CEF table) rather than looking up to the next-hop->Media-
   addresses.

> A 256-way M-Trie structure is used with a patented
> algorithm to find matches with at most 4 lookups.

As I understand it, the 256-way tree structure algorithm
is essentially similar to the way the 'optimum' switching
mode works. The fundamental difference being that the
lookup is to a pointer into the adjacency table rather
than the next-hop information itself.

M.