[nsp] 3600 series flash upgrade

From: jlewis@lewis.org
Date: Mon Oct 02 2000 - 10:26:32 EDT

I'm trying to upgrade the flash simms in a pair of 3640's and ordered some
8mb Cisco 3600 series flash simms from Crucial. What they sent doesn't
look much like the original Cisco 8mb simms and doesn't work properly.
When the new ones are installed, I get the following:

System Bootstrap, Version 11.1(20)AA2, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE
(fc1)
Copyright (c) 1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.
C3600 processor with 131072 Kbytes of main memory
Main memory is configured to 64 bit mode with parity disabled

get_man_dev: Unknown device - probably NOT formatted.
unknown flash device - mandev code = 0x89aa
cannot read flash info
getdevnum warning: device "flash" has size of zero
get_man_dev: Unknown device - probably NOT formatted.
unknown flash device - mandev code = 0x89aa
cannot read flash info
getdevnum warning: device "flash" has size of zero
open: read error...requested 0x4 bytes, got 0x0
trouble reading device magic number
boot: cannot open "flash:"
boot: cannot determine first file name on device "flash:"

If I boot from a PCMCIA card, I can do things like show flash and copy
files to the flash...but it doesn't seem to recognize the flash as
bootable. The hint about "probably not formatted" doesn't help much as I
haven't found any sort of format command.

Is there some trick to get these simms working, or are they not quite the
right part?

 Jon Lewis *jlewis@lewis.org*| I route
 System Administrator | therefore you are
 Atlantic Net |