RE: [nsp] REG: MPLS VPN route exchange

From: Vinod Anthony Joseph Cherunni (vac@dsqworld.com)
Date: Fri Oct 06 2000 - 06:03:27 EDT

Hi,

Thanks a ton for the guidance, I am sorry for further bothering you with
my queries, Kindly excuse me for it. Just a few queries more.

My understanding that the IP routing tables are used to build the Label
tables. So assuming my network is built as follows:

Edge label switch router A - Connecting two customers X & Y. The address
space of X=172.27.x.x, The address space of Y=192.168.129.x.

Edge label switch router B - Connecting two customers U & V. The address
space of U=192.168.102.x, The address space of V=192.168.104.x.

Label switch router C connects both the Edge label switch routers acting
as the transit point.

Now customers X & U form part of VPN -1, & Customers Y&V form part of
VPN-2.

For example, when Customer X transmits a packet to Customer U who is a
part of the same VPN, ELSR A will label the packet at the ingress, & pass
it on to the LSR C. Now the LSR will need to lookup its Label tabel &
forward the packet to the destination. Now all the core (LSR) will not be
aware of VPN routes, My question is during the label exchange between
routers, Will all the ELSR instruct all the LSR on how the forwarding
should happen, since the ELSR will be aware of the entire IGP routing
topology, & will exactly know how to get to the destination.

How do we associate members into a VPN, As mentioned in the above
assumption, how will I be able to associate or configure customers X&U to
be part of the same VPN. Because sine RD has only local significance, how
will the MPLS devices understand who is part of which VPN's. Trying to
compare the Frame Relay association of PVC's.

We are basically an end - end Cisco network, wherein we have a combination
of 2600, 3600, 7200, 7500 routers, & are in the process of getting the IGX
series. Now will the 2600, & 3600 support all MPLS features such as COS,
VPN, & Traffic engineering.

Thanks a ton & kind regards,

Vinod.