Re: [nsp] Multi-Homing without BGP

From: Cliff Judge (cliff@broccoli.cidera.com)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2000 - 10:35:26 EDT

I would suggest balancing on a per-packet basis in this kind of situation
(i.e. don't enable ip route-cache on the interfaces)...you cannot control
the routes you are placing into your cache this way, so it is best to
throw the packets evenly out both interfaces.

Of course you can't really balance your incoming load this way. But if
balancing your output traffic is more important than you are fairly lucky.

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Jose Ferreira wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to know if a default routing for multiple providers works as a
> basic solution for Multi-Homing.
>
> The customer has a low-end router and the step 1 would be add default routes
> in the way to both increase outbound bandwidth to the Internet and
> redundancy that multi-homing provides.
>
> The configuration would be something like:
>
> ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 @provider1
> ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 @provider2
>
> int s0
> ip route-cache
> int s1
> ip route-cache
>
> Having two default routes with equal metric, both routes will be installed
> in the Cisco´s IP routing table and the load balancing would be done on a
> per-connection basis.
>
> Is this the right way to do that ?
>
> I would like to know about your experience with this kind of solution.
>
> Best Regards,
> José Ricardo Bastos Ferreira
> jose.ferreira@intelig.net.br

-%