[nsp] Weird peering/routing issue

From: Andy Waltz (andy@one.net)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2000 - 16:07:47 EDT

Good day,

We have a customer that is peering with us using a 3640 ios 12.1.1T, our
router is a 7507 12.0.9S. All the routing shows correctly via BGP. They
are receiving a /19 (among the rest of the routing table) from us. Out of
that /19 they have a /30. Basically they cannot get to any other hosts in
the /24 (that the /30 came from). The rest of the /19 seems to work fine.
I'm completely stumped. I'm thinking a bug in the 3640's ios, which i
will be looking into. It is currently patched with a static route but
obviously that isn't a permenant solution. This strange since the
connection worked fine up to two days ago. The customer claims there have
been no changes on their end, and the only thing i can notice that has
happened is their connection flapped the other night (we reset bgp today
just to make sure). One of our other customers with the same setup and
/30 out of the same class C works fine.

Obviously i could break up that aggragate i'm sending to them and send
them the aggragate and a /24 but i'm not even confident that will work and
obviously the other peers on that router will have to hear another /24 (as
if there needs to be more routes in the routing table).

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what might be the root cause of this
and any possible remidies?

andy

----
Andy Waltz