RE: [nsp] Response Time Reporter comments sort

From: Ben-Shalom, Omer (omer.ben-shalom@intel.com)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2000 - 14:51:39 EST

I actually did a number of things with RTR one of them is present at the
link below as part of my initial work for my thesis , some of the rest are
still in 'development' in Intel and cannot be seen as it is inside the
firewall until I install them as well in the University but here goes ...

First - I do not claim to be a definitive authority on RTR and I did not
install and test IPM from Cisco as yet so take the following as
observations:

The RTR MIB history entries seem to be based on hourly entries, the number
of hourly entries kept is governed by the configuration
hours-of-statistics-kept , so the easiest thing to do with RTR if you want
to track long range data instead of 5 minutes or so is produce results based
on the hour statistics tables, I am attaching one report I am creating based
on data collected Via SNMP this way and stored in an rrdtool database, it is
in actuality a Grade Of Service report based on grading response time and
packet loss on a few links, I am removing the legend of the links and the Y
scaling so as not to reveal Intel specific data.

Another thing I do is use MRTG to collect the data, the problem is that I
wanted to configure collection often (every minute or less) but collect
every 5 minutes so I choose to get the summary data every 5 minutes and
basically get 5 minutes averages from the hourly counters, I used a script
to find the most recent hourly sum data and return that counter, the problem
is when an hour is rolled, I do not handle that well and in fact one data
point every hour is lost, I intend to work around that later on this month.

Another option is to collect results via SNMP at the same rate as the RTR
check, but if I use a query every 12 seconds (which I would like to do) that
will not be too good.

I am including the MRTG config files as well as the simple scripts used to
get response time and error (actually drop) rates

I hope you find this of value but as I indicated there may be a better ways
to get at this.

One suggestion I can make is this - keep the last value apart for the
collection scripts and process the delta values saving them as GAUGE, when
there is a roll over sum the final value of the closed hour with the current
one to get the delta for this round then continue , I will probably be
writing this in the coming days and can send this as well but for now 11/12
entries are OK.

Now finally - attached please find

1. Scripts to collect data (the .pl files) and configuration file (.cfg)
Example graphs (.png) from the GOS system - legends and Y scaling where
removed so as not to reveal any Intel data, I am calculating the total grade
based on the grade of 7 links, for each the drop rate and the response time
are graded and a total Grade calculated, the colors of the links (or links
data) are consistent in the three PNG images