Re: [nsp] MPLS Traffic engineering

From: Dmitri Kalintsev (dek@hades.uz)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 00:30:58 EST

On Mon, Nov 06, 2000 at 08:56:26AM -0500, Eric Osborne wrote:

> MPLS-TE relies on information distributed by your IGP - in the case of
> OSPF, Type 10 Opaque LSAs. Type 10s are area-local, so we don't have
> enough information about what's in other areas to do LSP path
> determination at the head-end. Inter-area is a tricky problem to
> solve, because the simple solution (flooding the entire network
> topology) isn't scalable, and kinda obviates areas in the first
> place. IS-IS has the same problem, but IS-IS networks tend to be a
> single much larger level, rather than several small areas like OSPF has.
>
> There's some ietf work to standardize multi-area TE; check your
> favorite ietf drafts archive. cisco is working on something too, but
> seeing as I'm neither marketing nor development, I can get away with
> saying "It's coming". :)

What about iBGP? I know somebody who succefully running MPLS network using
only iBGP as IGP. Sure, it requires careful network design and addressing
planning, but it pays off by actually working. ;) Please correct me if I'm
wrong somewhere.

SY,

--
   CCNP,CCDP (R&S)                                   Dmitri E. Kalintsev
   CDPlayer@irc          Chief of Network Operations @ Sonorous Networks