[nsp] REG: MPLS Traffic engineering

From: Vinod Anthony Joseph Cherunni (vac@dsqworld.com)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 09:22:27 EST

Hi All,

Thanks a lot once again for all the advice I have recieved. If I can take
some more of your time, I'll ask another question.Kindly help me out.

RSVP provides bandwidth guarantees. Now as mentioned OSPF will currently
only aupport TE on the OSPF core (Are 0). To overcome this, In a network
with multiple areas, I feel Frame-Relay can be extended to an end
customer who falls out the OSPF Area 0. Now VRF's for a VPN is typically
associated with a physical interface to which the CE is connected. Now If
I plan to use an MPLS compliant switch such as Cisco BPX series with an
inbuilt Layer 3 engine for the entire network, Life is simple becos the
device understands layer 2 & layer 3 functions. But asssume I use a switch
which is only built with a Frame - ATM interworking function & is not MPLS
& layer 3 aware at the access layer & the BPX only used at the core . Then
all the access Frame Relay customers could be aggreagated into an ATM link
back to the BPX. In this case there will not be any independent physical
interface per customer. So how will the VRF be associated on a per
customer basis.

When RSVP is used to achieve traffic engineering, Typically I understand
that it would request the network for a configured amount of bandwidth
when a conversation starts. Now If I configure a VPN to be allocated 2
Mbps bandwidth, When a conversation starts will RSVP request for 2 Mbps
bandwidth & not release excess bandwidth that is not used during the
conversation, or else does it work statistically, wherein wasted bandwidth
is released during the conversation.

Kindly advice,

With warm regards,
Vinod.