[nsp] load-balancing problem ...

From: eduard metz (e.t.metz@usa.net)
Date: Wed Nov 29 2000 - 04:48:51 EST

Hi all,

I've got a question on how Cisco routers load balance traffic.

Consider a network with 3 equal cost paths from A to I:
1.) A B D G I
2.) A B E G I
3.) A C F H I

Note that the first and second path share the same next-hop. Routing protocol
is either OSPF or ISIS (link-state), CEF is enabled.

Will each path get (approximately) 1/3 of the traffic, i.e. link AB will bet
2/3 of the traffic and splits this further over BD and BE.
Or is traffic split by each node over the equal cost next-hops, i.e. A sends
50% over AB and 50% over AC, and B splits again on 50/50 basis, effectively
leading to 25% on paths 1 and 2, and 50% on path 3.

Would the loadbalancing behaviour by typical to the Cisco implementation, or
is this specific to the way link-state protocols work?

cheers, Eduard