RE: Setting next-hop-self on iBGP peerings

From: F. David Sinn (dsinn@cisco.com)
Date: Thu Nov 30 2000 - 17:35:01 EST

In every BGP configuration I've been involved with, we have set the iBGP
next-hop-self. It's almost like a default. This includes simple full
meshes and complex route-reflector topologies. It is actually VERY
preferable when you are multi-homed for lower CPU utilization, proper
routing and reachability during route topology changes.

The one configuration I can't remember off the top of my head is a
multi-access network where you have two iBGP routers and one eBGP router
that only peers to one of the iBGP router. I remember there is a exception
to how the iBGP peers will exchange routes learned from the eBGP router, but
the specific's aren't coming to me.

Your end result can be a cleaner IGP, and don't have to muck about with
"redistribute connected" (and thus being a ABR with a multitude of
advertisements under OSPF), or passive interfaces if you advertise the
external prefix via a "network" statement (though you still have to use
passive if you are a ISP providing the address to a customer).

I'm not 100% following why you are redistributing connected and static into
iBGP. Can you elaborate (either on or off the list)?

David