RE: Cisco PIX feedback request

From: Andrew Alston (andrew@security.za.net)
Date: Fri Jan 05 2001 - 03:17:08 EST

Hi Karyn,

The Cisco pix is a nice piece of equipment, however in my time using it I
must admit to having had both good and bad times with it.

My major complaint with cisco pix was that last time I used it, it only
supported a single PAT address, while you could have multi nat pools, all
nat pools overflowed into the same pat, you could not define a single pat
per nat pool. This I found to be a major problem in certain advanced
configurations.

Also, when buying cisco pix make sure you get an IOS version that is updated
and patched against the state table reset bug (cisco_reset.c) which I
released an advisory for a couple of months ago when I wrote the code.

Other than that its a good product.

To the list, any feedback on the IDS blade for the 6500 would also be
appreciated on my side.

Thanks

Andrew Alston