RE: [nsp] Loading up a 7206VXR/400/2FE

From: Martin, Christian (cmartin@gnilink.net)
Date: Thu Jan 11 2001 - 10:55:59 EST

> At 08:55 AM 1/11/01 +0000, Neil J. McRae wrote:
> > > I have a question about how much you can actually pump
> > through a Cisco
> > > 7206VXR/400/2FE box. I'm looking to put 5 PA's in the unit,
> > most likely, 5
> > > MC-T3 cards, and then run MLPPP over the DS1's on those
> > T3's. In this
> > > setup, I could see the maximum number of MLPPP groups
> > physically possible
> > > being 70. The question is, will a 7206VXR with an NPE-400
> > support this?
> > > Will going with a NSE-1 give me any MLPPP benefits over a
> > plain NPE-400?
> > >

> >I doubt it, Multi Link interfaces, as I understand it, aren't
> >CEF enabled.

The performance issue isn't CEF related, as a multilink interface is treated
as a PPP adjacency. The problem is fragmentation and reassembly, as well as
fragment re-sequencing on the receive side. This is CPU intensive. The new
6CT3-SMB linecards can do 42 MLPPP bundles with up to 8 T1s per blade. The
card has hardware accelerated MLPPP features. The DLMPPP feature for the
7500s is also pretty nice, espescially on a VIP4/80.

.chris