[nsp] MPLS VPN options.

From: Vinod Anthony Joseph Cherunni (vac@dsqworld.com)
Date: Wed Jan 17 2001 - 03:00:54 EST

Dear All,

Is it possible to provide redundancy for an MPLS VPN. If I offer physical
level redundancy using two physical leased circuits from a VPN customer
terminating in two different Provider Edge (PE) routers configured as a
primary, & secondary links. Will the following configuration for the
locally available PE routers work -

hostname router1 (PE1)
!
interface serial 0
description *** Primary link to customer XYZ ***
IP VRF FORWARDING customer-xyz
ip address 10.2.1.5 255.255.255.252
!
router ospf 100 vrf customer-xyz
!
router bgp 1
address-family ipv4 vrf customer-xyz
neighbor router1 remote-as myas
neighbor router2 activate
exit-address-family

hostname router2 (PE2)
!
interface serial 0
description *** Secondary link to customer XYZ ***
IP VRF FORWARDING customer-xyz
ip address 11.2.1.5 255.255.255.252
!
ip route 11.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 11.2.1.6 175 <floating static route to
customer's network>
!
router bgp 1
address-family ipv4 vrf customer-xyz
neighbor router1 remote-as myas
neighbor router1 activate
exit-address-family

Assuming the traffic engineered path for the customer traffic from the
remote PE routers are confgured to route traffic to router1. I would need
to ensure that the exit traffic to the customer should use the primary
link avaialbale on the router1. In case the primary link fails the traffic
should use the secondary link on router2. Now router1 will have an OSPF
entry for networks reachable thru the primary link localy available using
OSPF with the CPE, & an MBGP entry for customer networks recieved from
router2, Will the configuration work as required, wherein router 1 chooses
router 2 only in case the OSPF prefix is not visible.

Also can the same be achieved using a leased line as the primary VPN
circuit, & an ISDN / PSTN link as the secondary circuit.

I am just a little confused on how the VRF association will be done on the
ISDN / PSTN interfaces.

Kindly advice me.

With warm regards,
Vinod.