RE: [nsp] VIP card CPU and Memory usage

From: Martin, Christian (cmartin@gnilink.net)
Date: Fri Jan 26 2001 - 10:12:33 EST

> Hyunseog Ryu <HRyu@norlight.com> writes:
>
> > Is there any way to get current CPU and memory usage from VIP card?
> > Either via SNMP query or command? If it shows high utilization, we
> > need to consider upgrade.
>
> On the high CPU utilization thing, I understand that a
> VIP-card running at 100% usage is normal when one is
> doing receive-side buffering, and therefore nothing
> to worry about.

This is true, but it can be a cause for concern because it means that there
are no available MEMD buffers to switch a packet to another VIP(IP). This
increase switching latency. Also, the important thing to note is that a VIP
CPU's primary function is to switch packets at the interrupt level. The CPU
is secondarily responsible for IPC messaging (Adj, FIB processing), lovenote
and loveletter exchange (isn't that sweet), and internal maintenance. So
high CPU at the interrrupt level is OK. High CPU at the scheduled process
level may indicate CEF table thrashing, or some other anomoly.

chris