Re: [nsp] VIP card CPU and Memory usage

From: Simon Leinen (simon@limmat.switch.ch)
Date: Sat Jan 27 2001 - 17:21:36 EST

> The CLI methods have already been mentioned, but you can get this
> via SNMP as well. Look at the CISCO-PROCESS-MIB. The trouble is,
> on all 7500s I've encountered a rather crucial table always shows
> zero:

> cpmCPUTotalPhysicalIndex.1 = 0
> cpmCPUTotalPhysicalIndex.2 = 0
[...]

> This means that you can get a lot of CPU stats pr. card or (or RSM),
> but there is no way to know which entry represents which card/RSM.

Correct. These ...PhysicalIndexes are supposed to point to rows in
the ENTITY-MIB, which hasn't been implemented for the 7500 yet, at
least not on any IOS release known to me.

I think the only thing you can count on is that the RSP always has
index 1.

> Has anyone managed to work around this?

Not really. What's worse is that on our routers, the CPU indexes
change every few days without apparent reason. E.g. a freshly booted
router may look like this:

: leinen@babar[leinen]; snmpwalk -Os test cpmCPUTotal5min
cpmCPUTotal5min.1 = Gauge32: 3
cpmCPUTotal5min.2 = Gauge32: 2
cpmCPUTotal5min.3 = Gauge32: 1
cpmCPUTotal5min.4 = Gauge32: 1
cpmCPUTotal5min.5 = Gauge32: 1

And a router which has been running for a few weeks looks like this -
note the high indexes (37,38,39,40):

: leinen@babar[leinen]; snmpwalk -Os ce1 cpmCPUTotal5min
cpmCPUTotal5min.1 = Gauge32: 4
cpmCPUTotal5min.37 = Gauge32: 24
cpmCPUTotal5min.38 = Gauge32: 28
cpmCPUTotal5min.39 = Gauge32: 20
cpmCPUTotal5min.40 = Gauge32: 10

This makes it pretty hard to track them with MTRG (which would be very
useful).

--
Simon.