Re: [nsp] ARP Behavior

From: Siva Valliappan (svalliap@cisco.com)
Date: Thu Feb 01 2001 - 13:44:10 EST

by default, when we arp for a device it remains in our arp cache for
4 hours. 1 minute before the entry expires, we will re-arp for the device.
if it responds, we reset the age. if it does not respond, we expire the
entry. should (during the 4 hour period) the device send out a
gratuitous arp, or arp for the router, we will reset the age interval
(since the device is obviously alive). we will not reset the age interval
for data traffic (if we did, we would have to keep constantly resetting
the age interval)

cheers
.siva