Re:[nsp] MSFC CPU Utilization Pegged at 99%....but a sh proc cpu does not reveal anything past 1%

From: rkuhljr@uol.com.br
Date: Fri Feb 02 2001 - 15:22:50 EST

>>Have a 6509 with 2 MSFC's. The MSFC's are running 12.1(2)E. Just had one
>of the MSFC's spike to 99%. A sh proc cpu reveals that total utlization
>should add up to about 5%. A reload of the module causes the exact same
>thing. A no changes have been made. Anybody seen this before. Also, the
>other MSFC and Switch Utilization are both showing about 3-5%, which is
>normal.

Some "kernel mode" tasks like packet forwarding/ACL processing can use CPU without being related to a process.

12.1(2)E is not your friend, and the same goes to some old supervisor OS versions, that are likely to be on your box if it's the shipped one. Cisco PSIRT should have issued an alert about them, I really can't figure why they didn't.

Rubens Kujl Jr.