Re: [nsp] BGP Advertisements

From: Christian Kratzer (ck@toplink.net)
Date: Sat Feb 03 2001 - 05:29:22 EST

Hi,

On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, Vinod Anthony Joseph Cherunni wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Once again some queries in my mind. Out of a /18 address block that has
> been allocated to me, which I am further subnetting to achieve multiple
> /30 prefixes to allocate addresses for all my links. The following queries
> arise in my mind.

[snipp]
> (c) Lastly is it advicable to announce the entire /18 allocated to me
> using an ip route to null for the entire /18 even though its not being
> fully utilized, if I would need to do that.

please ONLY announce your /18. Do NOT announce any subnets. Specifically
do not announce /24 or /30 subnets. This adds unnecessary bloat to the
internet routing table.

If you have contiguos /18 of address space you should not bloat the internet
routing tables with anything more than a single announcement for your
address space.

Greetings
Christian Kratzer
Toplink