RE: [nsp] BGP Advertisements

From: Barry Raveendran Greene (bgreene@cisco.com)
Date: Sat Feb 03 2001 - 11:18:15 EST

Hello Vinod,

Why are you using /30s that take up address space and increase the size of
your IGP? Use IP Unnumbered. IP Unnumbered is the BCP of running an Internet
operations.

As to your question below, use the following as references:

ISP Essentials Power Session
    http://www.cisco.com/public/cons/isp/documents/IOSEssentials_Seminar.zip

BGP Routing Workshop
    http://www.cisco.com/public/cons/workshops/bgp/

In the BGP Routing Workshop, look specifically for the BCP (Best Common
Practice) session.

In you example below, given that you have only allocated two /30s out of the
/18 .... the BCP would be to advertise only the /18. Nothing more specific
than the /18. So you would have (assuming the /18 is 202.9.0/18):

router bgp 1076
no auto-summary
no synchronization
neighbor a.b.c.d remote-as x
neighbor a.b.c.d prefix-list out-filter out
network 202.9.0.0 mask 255.255.192.0
!
ip route 202.9.0.0 255.255.192.0 Null 0 250
!
ip prefix-list out-filter permit 202.9.0.0/18
ip prefix-list out-filter deny 0.0.0.0/0 le 32
!

There are three major techniques for advertising you aggregate to your
upstream. (see the first BGP session in the BGP Workshop materials). We
recommend this one in the workshop. We've found - through experience - to be
the easiest for young ISPs to implement.

On the NAT question, is the public addresses inside the /18 allocation? If
not, the easiest thing to do is to to renumber the public NAT address pool
to the /18 block.

Now for the interesting recommendation. If you check out IP Unnumbered and
still decided to use the /30 technique, we recommend that these /30s NOT go
into your IGP. The would be advertised and generated into your iBGP. Why?
Consider these routes as "external" to your network. "External" routes are
the job of the EGP (BGP in this case). By keeping these external routes out
of the IGP, you help keep the IGP lean - increasing the convergence time
(recovery speed) of you network.

This may not seem like a big deal when you have two /30 links. But, it is a
big deal when you have 10,000 /30 links in your IGP.

Now some would say that you can use the synergistic relationship of your
routing protocol, addressing plan, and network plan to insure that you do
IGP summarization at the area border router. This is the goal in an ideal
network. It is what we teach. But .... I have yet to see any network that
keep the discipline to insure summarization would happen. Scaling, growth,
and customer pressures eventually forces the wholes to be punched into the
summarizations - allow /30s all over the place.

This is the key reason we recommend IP Unnumbered. With IP Unnumbered, you
can have 10,000 lease line customer - with no IGP entries on the circuits
between you and your customer.

Check out the workshop materials. We have this covered in the materials.

Barry