Re: [nsp] Best DS1 mux for NM-1A-OC3?

From: Paolo Bevilacqua (pab@cisco.com)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2001 - 16:25:25 EST

Dan,

the thing that are you describing is a router, not a mux.

ATM OC3 is cells, DS1 is HDLC packets (you can have cells on
DS1 as well but it waste too much bandwidth). Only a router can
switch packets overe these two things.

So you have to look into what your telco offers to terminate the
DS1. If they give you channelized T3, you can have a chan. T3
card for the 7200 and up. If they don't, you have to get as many
T1 ports on the POP routers as many customer you have.

Or may be your telco offers FR/ATM service interworking. In this
case your customera would connect as Frame Relay and you would
use ATM on your side. Not very efficient, but cheap.

         /pab