[nsp] multihoming issue

From: Laszlo PAL (laszlo.PAL@nextra.hu)
Date: Wed Feb 14 2001 - 10:35:07 EST

Dear Collegues

I would like to ask your help in network design of one of our new customer.
I have tried to ask my collegues internally, but noone has a real solution
for this design issue.

This company currently has some internet feed (2 Mbit leased line) from
another ISP, basically they are satisfied with this, but they would like to
have some redundancy in their internet feed, so they are going to buy
another 2 Mbit from us. They have no own PA address space, the curent
addresses has been received from the ISP. They have a firewall and behind
this firewall they are using private addresses.

The current network schematic as the follows

Internet (ISP1)---- ISP1 router---------FW----- Servers and workstations

In he new configuration they would like to prefer ISP1 link for the servers
and prefer our link for the office, but in the case of failure of any of the
feed, they would like to switch autamatically to the other line.

The preferred network design should look like this

Internet (ISP1) ---ISP1 router-----------------FW--------------- Servers

Internet (Nextra) ----Nextra router--------------FW---------------
Workstations

My questions:

1. Do you think this is possible
2. Do they need any BGP (I think yes) for this?
3. Do they need full BGP (hopefully not)?
4. They would like to switch to PI addresses to make themselves idependent
from providers. Do you think this is a good idea? It will work worldwide?
5. If they will keep using PA addresses how can this fit in this
configuration?

Thank you
Laszlo Pal
Nextra Hungary