RE: [nsp] FW: [inet-talk] DDTs Id CSCds90409 (fwd)

From: Basil Dolmatov (dol@office.east.ru)
Date: Wed Feb 14 2001 - 11:39:49 EST

yeah, we all know story about chief programmer painting door of his room
with poisonoously green paint
and do not answering any questions... ;)

but if you look deeper in content of message, you can see, that core switch
was crashed with simple input
of out-of-range integer parameter. it was not even buffer overflow, because
the number of digits is the same
for legal value and for value causing crucial device srash.

i agree that excellent (and even good) software engineer worth some freedom
for relaxation, it will be
returned to enterprise, but people writing code without any
input-error-handling deserves not relaxation,
fut immediate firing, because such code decreases enterprise image
drastically.

IMNSHO...
Basil (Vasily) V. Dolmatov CCIE# 5347
LightCom Corp. http://www.lightcom.ru