Re: [nsp] Traffic Simulators.......

From: c.spurgeon@mail.utexas.edu
Date: Thu Feb 22 2001 - 17:16:19 EST

>caida has some stuff and then there is Smartbits. You can always use
>*cough* stream.c *cough*
>
>At 04:27 PM 2/21/01 -0500, Greene, Patrick wrote:
>
>>Anyone know of any good traffic simulators? High-end and low-end. Need
>>to put TCP/IP traffic into a new infrastructure for baselining and
>>failover testing. Need gigabit speeds.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Patrick

Indeed. Stream.c run against Cisco 6509s with MLS and NDE enabled can
be most enlightening.

In the dedicated hardware realm there is also Shomiti:
http://www.shomiti.com/

Shomiti seems to be one of the least expensive of the dedicated
hardware full-bore packet spewers. I've used two of their Fast
Ethernet cards for the last few years to blast away at various
thingies in the lab.

Shomiti has just been acquired by Finisar. Dunno what that means for
the long term health of their product line.

-Charles

Charles E. Spurgeon / UTnet
UT Austin Telecommunications and Internet Services
c.spurgeon@mail.utexas.edu / 512.475.9265