Re: [nsp] HSRP timers

From: Tony Tauber (ttauber@genuity.net)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 10:56:39 EST

> Be careful, however, and do thorough lab testing prior to putting such low
> hello/hold times into production. I have seen situations where a busy
> switch has caused wild thrashing of HSRP pairs with low timer values.
>
> -Dennis

Yeah, you probably want to keep the timeout higher than the
Spanning Tree convergence time.

Really, the users can wait for something approaching a minute
on the hopefully rare occasions where a router goes down.

If you set the timers too low, you'll have thrashing or other
odd behavior which will result in longer and possibly harder
to isolate outages.

"Zero" downtime is a marketing scam.

Tony