Re: [nsp] Experience with NSE-1 and IOS 12.0S?

From: Gert Doering (gert@greenie.muc.de)
Date: Mon Mar 19 2001 - 13:35:19 EST

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 01:28:08PM -0500, George Robbins wrote:
> It may vary depending on the architecuture.
>
> My learning experience was on a 3640, which had been stable, but started
> maxing out CPU days after I'd turned on IP accounting with a large number
> of entries and forgotten about it. It was doing mostly newsfeeds and
> getting news traffic from one of the "newer" entries in the list would
> max out the CPU.
>
> More recent experience during attacks seems to confirm a fairly direct
> linkage bettween the size of the accounting list and CPU utiization/
> survivability.

Ah - this may very well be. We don't use the accounting list at all - we
have to do ip accounting for *all* traffic that passes through our
network, legitimate traffic (customers) and illegitimate (something people
dump at us at exchange points, for example).

If there would be a way to make entries like

 195.30.0.1 <foreign> 17 12314
 <foreign> 195.30.0.1 28 12334
 <foreign> <foreign>

(<foreign> being shown for every entry not on the ip accounting list)
then using the ip accounting list would make much more sense for us.

[..]
> Ip accounting is fairly useless except as a debugging tool,

Umm, actually, it works nicely for exactly that: ip accounting :-)

> it would
> be nice if you could specify a source/dest mask so that you could
> bucket by class-C (for example) vs. specific addresses.

This can be done with Netflow, but the problem with netflow is the way
the data is exported (UDP - if the collector host is down, or a link
in between is saturated, you drop accounting packets, that is, drop
money...).

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert@greenie.muc.de