Re: [nsp] Experience with NSE-1 and IOS 12.0S?

From: Gert Doering (gert@greenie.muc.de)
Date: Mon Mar 19 2001 - 14:46:23 EST

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 02:00:40PM -0500, George Robbins wrote:
[..]
> Well, in an ISP environment, there's no way we could have a large
> enough accounting list to track all packets.

Sure - just use *no* accounting list. As long as the scenario I have
described doesn't happen, and "ip accounting-threshold" is high enough
(about 200000 in our case, up to 120000 have been actually needed in a
few cases), this just *works* :-)

Even with "bad packets" coming in, this smells like an IOS or 720x
platform bug - as I said, with an RSP4 in a 7507, this doesn't hit
nearly as hard (no distributed switching done, and the RSP4 isn't
faster than a NPE-300).

The major problem is that the router starts dropping packets destined to
itself, and that routing protocols start flapping. *This* hints at a
really broken scheduler - I wouldn't mind losing ip accounting records
(or even packets) if the router gets really tight on CPU due to having
to create too many "ip accounting" table entries, because those are
bogus anyway. But the current behaviour is just really really bad.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert@greenie.muc.de
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert.doering@physik.tu-muenchen.de