[nsp] multiplexing 2 ADSL (PPPoE - L2TP) connections for more bandwith

From: Krzysztof Adamski (k@adamski.org)
Date: Mon Mar 19 2001 - 23:37:00 EST

I have a customer that wants to "bond" two ADSL connections to increase
his bandwidth. He is to far from the CO to get the high-high speed ADSL.

This is the setup:

Customer runs PPPoE software, ADSL modem is connected through the ethernet
NIC. This gets encapsulated as a L2TP tunnel and shows up on my cisco
router, here the tunnel is deencapsulated, then the PPP is authenticated
(I'm using RADIUS).

So, would it be possible to put a cisco 1605 at the customer site, have
one ethernet connect to his internal network. The other ethernet port
connected to a hub and have two (or more) ADSL modems connect to this hub.
Setup the 1605 to create two PPPoE sessions and have two default routes.

On my router assign the same network to the two connections.

I can see some problems, one is how would the 1605 know which ADSL modem
to talk to, after all the modems are just bridges. Would this be solved by
having a separate ethernet port per modem?

Are there any other ways for bonding ADSL connections?