RE: [nsp] CEF

From: David Sinn (dsinn@microsoft.com)
Date: Tue Apr 17 2001 - 11:37:40 EDT

What version of software are you running? Later versions of 12.0S and
12.1 have most of the CEF related issues worked out. If you are not
running 12.0 or 12.1 I would not recommend CEF. I have seen 11.1(28)CC
work well, but it will really depend on your configuration.

One benefit you have with your hardware is that, except for the 7507,
you will only be running centralized CEF. There are a lot fewer bugs if
you don't run distributed CEF.

The question you should really be asking yourself is: Do I need to turn
it on? Depending on what your design and traffic look like you might be
able to run quite well with Optimum/Fast caching (and distributed
Optimum/Fast on the 7507's). If you haven't turned it on yet, then take
a look at what processes are taking the most CPU utilization, and what
differential you have between process and interrupt processes. You
might not need it.

David