platform for STM-1 links

From: Andrew Fort (afort@staff.webcentral.com.au)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 00:01:10 EDT

Hi, I'm looking at gear to service two sites.

Firstly, there's a PoS STM-1 interface connecting site A to site B
Secondly, each site has a ATM STM-1 interface connecting it to a transit
provider

I'm looking at a 7204VXR/7206VXR, and I'm wondering what NPE to use.
Interfaces will most probably be PA-A3-OC3 (MM), PA-POS-OC3 (MM), with an
eye to going to an STM-4/OC-12 DPT interface for the link between site A and
site B.

My present experience with 7200s is limited to 7206/NPE-200 with an FDDI
(wan) link and multiple FA interfaces. This box, with CEF enabled (on
12.1(5e)), runs at about 40-45% processor (the FDDI is running at about
80Mbit/sec up to line-rate at times, the main FastEthernet interface the
same).

Will an NPE-400 capably handle the current implementation requirements
(given above)? How far would it be able to service the siteA<->siteB link
if those interfaces are upped to 622Mbit/sec? (Given the NPE-300 and
NPE-400 appear to be the same price i'm considering the 400).

I'd like to be able to do Gigabit Ethernet on the core interfaces, but at
the moment I'm speccing for multiple FA interfaces (PA-2FE-TX), say
2xPA-2FE-TX, 1xPA-A3-OC3, 1xPA-POS-OC3 in each 7204/6VXR. I assume with a
7200 I'm going to run into PCI bus limitations with the Gigabit interfaces
adding to the overall bandwidth (esp. if the GBE interface is on bus1 via
the I/O module and i have to use bus2 for both the 155Mbit interfaces)?

Any other recommended platforms? Would a low-medium 75xx series handle this
better? Which bus/chassis type, RSP and VIPs? (i'm already confused
enough, but can always handle more information :).

I'm contacting our rep but thought that many of you would operate similar
bandwidth environments (or much higher) and would know from operational data
more than from the product pages :).

-afort